Re: vc-update for bzr etc.

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: vc-update for bzr etc.
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:29:37 -0500

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> I have an implementation of `pull' that also takes a `revision' argument.
> And in the *vc-incoming* buffer there's a binding for vc-pull to pull
> up to the revision at point (use  pull --revision=ARG).

Good.

>> Also, do I need to do anything special to update VC-dir buffers after
>> merging or pulling?
>
> Not only VC-dir buffers, but all buffers containing files in the
> target directory.  See for example the vc-resynch-buffer in the
> vc-retrieve-tag (which could use a better name).

OK, I've got some code working that makes vc-bzr-merge/update call or
refresh VC-dir after finishing, e.g. it shows "updated" files after a
bzr update.  But the interface feels flimsy, somehow.

The VC-dir buffer displays no indication while the merge/pull is
running.  Afterwards, there is no sign that the operation has completed,
other than an echo area message (easily overwritten by other Emacs
commands) and some changes in file status (easily overlooked).

For example, if you do an update operation that completes without doing
anything, it's easy to miss when the update finishes.  In contrast, when
the VCS messages are put into a compilation-like buffer, it's always
clear what has taken place.

So it seems like there needs to be some kind of status message display
in the VC-dir buffer, showing (at least) the most recent VCS operation
and its status.  WDYT?