Re: Sending patch with Gnus

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: Sending patch with Gnus
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:33:11 +0100

Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> It imports/sends any mbox files. So not related to any specific VC.
>>
>> Then the description of these commands is a bit misleading.  :-)
>>
>> But the use case is that you have an entire mbox of messages, and you
>> want to send them all?
>
> Does Gnus have anything akin to Mutt's -H option?
>
>   -H draft
>    Specify a draft file which contains header and body to use to send a
> message.

I don't think so and that's mostly the whole point of the discussion.

> I.e., you do `mutt -H <mboxfile>' and Mutt opens the file, you can
>edit
> it the same as when composing a new message and then send it. Useful
> e.g. when sending single patches produced by `git format-patch'.

I tried it and that's indeed what I'd like to have with Gnus.

Except that Gnus could do better I guess, since I believe it could
handle a mbox file embedding several patches... Perhaps it would be
interesting to create a /draft/ group like it's possible to create a
nndoc group.

Also it would be nice if we could create a draft (group) from a buffer
(not only from a file), that would avoid to use a temporary mbox file
which I find a bit awkward. For example with mutt:

      $ git format-patch --stdout HEAD~1 | mutt -H

Thanks
--
Francis