Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:33:13 +0100

"LB" == Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> does not appear in the `global-map', at least).
>>>
>>> Which means that Emacs actively shadows the default binding on w32.
>>> Why should Emacs do that?
>>
>> Why shouldn't it?

LB> Because it makes Emacs harder to use (especially for new users).
---8<---[snipped 12 lines]---8<---

Learning emacs is _that_ hard already, I'm not sure M-f4 makes a
difference. When you're new to emacs, there is just no way around
actively learning the essential keys anyways.
If you'd want to achieve consistent behaviour with the most-used window
managers, you'd also have to make C-f do search and C-s save.
And that inconsistency is a problem for new users on all platforms.
At my university, I've see people new to linux struggle with emacs, and
believe me, it was not pretty (like, opening a new instance of emacs
instead of using buffers).
Maybe attempting to provide at least as many keybindings doing "what
you'd expect them to do" as possible could help make it easier for new
users. Not sure though. Which makes me think of cua-mode again.

btw, how is M-<tab> handled on Windows?

--
Philipp Haselwarter