RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:37:14 -0800

> > (global-set-key [M-f4] 'w32-syskey)
>
> The problem I see with this approach is that Emacs chooses the
> binding. If a user has gone to the effort of changing the windows
> bindings (however small this percentage of users is) then Emacs will
> no longer play nice in their expectations. Although, if a user, say,
> makes [Alt-x] the command to exit an application I guess Emacs will
> stick with it's own behaviour.

It's a valid point.  The flip side is that what you see in Emacs about any key
reflects the behavior of that key in Emacs.

If a key is bound to be passed through to Windows, then it will be, whether or
not that key means anything special to Windows.  If you change Windows hotkeys
then you might (or you might not) want to change Emacs bindings to reflect that.

And as I mentioned in another message, there is also the problem of
Windows-level hotkeys that get added by installing an app or by using new
hardware.  In that case, what you point out as a disadvantage is a definite
advantage.