Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 02:38:09 +0100

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > d>  (a) let users bind `M-f4' in Emacs, but if unbound
>> > d>  (b) look it up in `w32-passthrough-events' and
>> > d>      if there pass it to Windows, or if not there
>> > d>  (c) raise an unbound error.
>>
>> There is no "unbound error".
>
> Right.  So change (c) to "show message saying that the key
> is unbound".  Any key that is not bound in Emacs and is not listed in
> `w32-passthrough-events' would not be passed to Windows but would be handled
> by
> Emacs showing that message.

Fine. We are finally getting to the point.

> Least surprise also means that Emacs tells users what's happening.  My own
> preference would be to not bind the key by default and give users a new
> command
> to bind it to, to pass it through to Windows.

Those two things are contradictory, aren't they? And for default
things we should care mostly for new users, or?

> But as I say, that's just my preference.  I'm happy as long as users have a
> way
> to prevent the key from going to Windows.  `w32-passthrough-events' sounds
> fine
> to me.

Ok, thanks. Maybe prevent an unbound key to be sent to the operating
system (as is the default for GUI systems) could be useful sometimes.
Though I kind of doubt it at the moment.