Re: Still unable to build trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Still unable to build trunk
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:03:12 -0500

> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:25:26 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Cc: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> One way to address this issue is to say that maintainers should
> have automake installed.  That's normal for other packages, but
> I'd rather minimize changes to the assumptions for Emacs.

What is the meaning of "maintainers" in this context?  Does that mean
anyone who builds the development trunk?  If so, that's a very large
population, most of them not really "maintain" Emacs, and I'm not sure
we want to request that all of them have automake installed.

In any case, if we do, there should be clear information about the
version(s) of all the auto-tools that are required to build Emacs
correctly and seamlessly.  The file INSTALL.BZR in the top-level
directory sounds like the right place.  It currently says nothing
about these requirements, AFICS.