Re: attribute warn_unused_result

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: attribute warn_unused_result
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:38:35 +0200

> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 08:50:45 -0700
>
> I think this problem is caused by a change in Ubuntu.  IIRC, it adds
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 by default.

Yep, looks like that, thanks.  I see this in "gcc -dumpspecs":

%{!D_FORTIFY_SOURCE:%{!D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=*:%{!U_FORTIFY_SOURCE:-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2}}}

> With ordinary glibc and gcc, you must ask for this setting, it is
> not the default.  See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilerFlags.

Except that this page says -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 is in effect with -O2
or higher, but I also see the warning with -O1.  Only -O0 disables it.

Anyway, am I the only one who uses this version of Ubuntu?  If so,
sorry for the noise, and please disregard.  I will find some way to
get rid of it.