Re: bug: epg send unencrypted data in trash

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: bug: epg send unencrypted data in trash
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:05:09 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:16:13 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> TV> Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:
>>> i start using recently delete-by-moving-to-trash.(i had no trash before)
>>> So now when i decrypt a file and read it in emacs, i have an unencrypted
>>> file world readable 'epg-output-xxx' in the trash.
>>> That's bad.
>
> TV> So if one use gnus with a .authinfo.gpg, and use also
> TV> delete-by-moving-to-trash, he will have the bad surprise to find his
> TV> authinfo data in clear text in the trash.
>
> TV> Maybe let-bind delete-by-moving-to-trash in epg-delete-output-file would
> TV> be good.
> TV> It's what i will do here anyway.
>
> TV> (defun epg-delete-output-file (context)
> TV>   "Delete the output file of CONTEXT."
> TV>   (let ((delete-by-moving-to-trash nil))
> TV>     (when (and (epg-context-output-file context)
> TV>              (file-exists-p (epg-context-output-file context)))
> TV>       (delete-file (epg-context-output-file context)))))
>
> TV> With this change, data in clear text will never go to trash.
>
> According to the docs for `delete-file' it shouldn't matter what
> `delete-by-moving-to-trash' says because this is called
> non-interactively (TRASH is nil when delete-file is called
> non-interactively).  Or is this funcall interactive somehow?
I don't know, but actually without delete-by-moving-to-trash let-bound
to nil, non--encrypted data goes to trash.

To reproduce:
Enable delete-by-moving-to-trash
Edit your .authinfo.gpg from dired, then kill buffer.
Go to trash you will see content of your .authinfo in an epg-output-xxx
file.

Same if you open gnus.

If you use delete-by-moving-to-trash maybe you already have
non--encrypted data in your trash.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: