Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:13:38 -0700

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure what fixes you mean.  I've just maintained a separate
> version.

I was volunteering in case you were willing to let us incorporate any
fixes and improvements you made to your separate mode into the trunk but
couldnt or didnt want to do it yourself. The commentary of your file
says that certain bugs have been fixed, iirc.

> That stuff simply shouldn't be there, which is why it originally
> wasn't.

That's what I am currently working on cleaning up. This is mainly to
provide a cleaner base for the integration of functionality from
Fabian's new mode.

> It appears all the world's Python, so it doesn't matter if it causes
> global problems and more-or-less excludes similar things for other
> interpreters as far as I remember.  (I implemented a gud-minor-mode, of
> course, but it required changes to gud.el and I didn't keep up with
> Emacs.  I think the general facility was less code than the
> Python-specific version.)

I am unclear as to how gud-minor-mode would be better, since I am not
familiar with that mode at all. However, I remember reading in some old
thread where somebody made the point that Python's way of debugging
doesn't lend itself well to using a gud-minor-mode. I might have to go
back and reread that thread again.

Christoph