user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:32:21 -0600

Sorry if this has been discussed before.  I don't recall such a
discussion and the search terms are too generic.

I think it's useful to load on startup any .el files placed in a
particular directory (if the user approves the directory).  For example,
if the user sets `load-dir' to '("~/.emacs.d/load"),
~/.emacs.d/load/*.el will be loaded on startup.  The `load-path' is not
involved, this would be a straight `eval' call.

`load-dir' is just a name suggestion.

This can be done on the user side, of course, but if Emacs had a
built-in facility to do it, enabling and controlling Emacs
configurations in a modular way would be easier, especially for new
users.

Ted