Re: A better autogen.sh

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 01:53:30 -0400

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:14:35 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > What would it take to maintain it by hand?
>
> mv src/config.in msdos/config.in, change config.bat to look in the new
> place, you update the version of msdos/config.in in the repo whenever
> you think it is needed, by simply copying your src/ version there.

I didn't mean the trivia.  I meant this part:

  you update the version of msdos/config.in in the repo whenever
  you think it is needed

How would I know that a change needed, and (more importantly) how
would I know what to update there?

And what do you mean by "your src/ version there"?  How will it help,
if it is just a result of editing config.in with Sed?  I have no other
src/ version.

> (This seems to be how the MS Windows port works?)

nt/config.nt is maintained by hand, allright, but that's done by
tracking changes in src/config.in.  If src/config.in is removed from
the repository, maintaining nt/config.nt will hit a snag, because
there will be no file to "bzr diff" against the previous version and
see what's changed, and how else would someone know how to update
config.nt?

> > autogen.sh could begin by removing config.in.
>
> That's a bit ugly

Why ugly, move-if-change should be fine.  What am I missing?

> I hope the previous solution is acceptable to you.

It will be, if there's a practical way to know how to update the
private config.in without having a Posix platform nearby.