Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:56:11 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> III) It sees whether the server says that it accepts AUTH or not.  If it
>> does, smtpmail then asks auth-source for credentials.  There will be
>> none there, probably
>
> If the user has a ~/.authinfo.gpg, the user will be prompted at this
> point: *bad* since we don't know yet whether this prompt is needed.

That's true.  However, I don't think the user has a ~/.authinfo.gpg
file.  :-)

auth-source won't create that file by default (when we get the gpg:
tokens implemented), so the only way for that file to exist is if the
user has created it explicitly.  And if the user has created it
explicitly, I think it's likely that the user has already opened it to
connect to an IMAP server or the like, so it's most likely already
decoded.

If it exists, which it won't.  :-)