Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 20:02:02 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> LMI> 1) smtpmail would see that there's no host setup, so it would prompt the
> LMI> user for the SMTP host and store it via customize.
>
> What if I want to put the host and port in my ~/.authinfo?

I think the ~/.authinfo file can be consulted for possible defaults to
use, but the file may have several SMTP entries, so it kinda seems...
slightly sloppy.

And even if there is only one entry there, the user may want to use a
different host anyway, so I'm not sure it really helps.

Not to mention in a multi-SMTP-server setting, where you're sending out
via different SMTP servers depending on what your From address is.

Anyway, I think that can be hashed out after implementing it.  My
problem is that I'm away both this weekend and the next weekend, and
since there should be no new features after July 1st, time is getting
rather short.

I'll do my best to implement the new smtpmail.el stuff on Wednesday,
which looks like it's going to be free.  Is there any possibility of
getting the gpg: tokens done before that?  :-)