Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:47:57 -0400

>> Emacs until now didn't require the user to provide the server address.
>> At least on Windows, the system mailer (Outlook or whatever) is
>> normally already configured, and many times by a person other than the
>> one who invoked Emacs.  The latter might not know the address or the
>> credentials, or both.  We don't want that to get in the way of an
>> Emacs user who wants to report a bug, for example.

Maybe we should set it not to smtpmail-send-it nor to
mailclient-send-it, but to a new function that prompts the user for
which method to use (mailclient/smtpmail/sendmail) and then saves the
result via customize.

Of course, maybe we can spice up that function to try and guess which
choice to make without prompting the user (e.g. maybe gconf already hods
the answer?), but at least the fallback should be to prompt the user
because in general there's no safe answer (mailclient won't work on most
of my machines since I rarely bother to configure another MUA).

        Stefan