Re: VC and too long command lines

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: VC and too long command lines
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:16:17 +0200

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:55:28 +0200
From: Deniz Dogan<address@hidden>

Of course, the command line was simply too long (approximately 66,000
characters) for my operating system to handle (Windows 7 64-bit).

What should Emacs do when this happens?

I think the most appropriate thing would be to add some functionality
which determines the maximum command line length for the current system
and if the call exceeds that length, tell the user about it.  Another
way would be to e.g. divide the commit into several smaller commits and
appending something along the lines of "(commit N of M)" to each commit
message.

The former.  The latter is impossible, because to know how to break a
command into several pieces you need to understand the semantics of
that command.  E.g., all pieces but the first might need some
additional command-line switch to tell the program to append the
results to the previous ones, rather than overwriting them.  As
another example, you'd need to use ">>" instead of">" in all but the
first command.  Etc., etc.

So we agree then! Do you happen to know of any reliable way to determine the maximum command line length of the user system?