Re: VC and too long command lines

From: Nix
Subject: Re: VC and too long command lines
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:18:37 +0100

On 23 Jul 2011, Eli Zaretskii uttered the following:

>> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 06:36:40 -0400
>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> CC: address@hidden
>>
>> However, it might be better to make a conservative assumption about
>> how big the command line can be, and always keep generated commands
>> under that size.
>
> In my experience, 30K bytes is such a conservative assumption on
> MS-Windows.

Unfortunately on operating systems that share the environment and
command line, the maximum command line length can get *very* small, and
of course can vary. I recall HP-UX 10.20 refusing to run anything
because the environment was 8190 bytes... and on that system we
regularly had environments >8000 bytes, so things broke all the time :(

(I too would be fascinated to learn of other constraints on command-line
length on Windows. I suspect the Libtool people might like to know as
well.)

--
NULL && (void)