Re: enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 01:14:26 +0100

On 26/07/11 21:13, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

This is bad news, since I consider this as a quite important feature.
I really wonder why no CJK users have ever complained (but maybe I've
missed such rants).

Well, there are AFAIUI dual-width fonts with both western and asian glyphs which line up and are stylistically consistent, such as IPAGothic (debian package otf-ipafont-gothic). I suspect they may cover a lot of people's needs. Try

fc-list :spacing=dual

to see if you have any currently installed.

One rather brute-force way (with the distinct advantage that it works) to force use of _only_ particular well-matched fonts in emacs is to limit the fonts visible to emacs at all, at the libfontconfig level.

You can do that using an alternate fontconfig configuration file that points at a directory with only the particular fonts you want used in it. The libfontconfig override mechanism is documented to be via an environment variable FC_CONFIG_FILE, but the actual environment variable is apparently FONTCONFIG_FILE. (If you're doing that, you also need to force use of _only_ the xft font rendering, not both xft and core x, with "Emacs.FontBackend: xft" in your x resource db (~/.Xdefaults))