Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:01:34 +0300

> Here is one suggestion.
>
> 1) Expose all the internal "variables" currently living inside
>    display-buffer-alist as Lisp variables, e.g. reuse-window-even-sizes
>    and pop-up-window-min-height.
>
> 2) Make the "display methods" specifier just another one of these
>    variables, e.g. call it `display-buffer-method'.
>
> 3) Change display-buffer-alist so that it is just a method of overriding
>    Lisp variables during display-buffer.

One of the goals for the new design was to avoid the abuse
of Lisp variables intended for user customization by code that
let-binds user options like `pop-up-windows', `same-window-buffer-names',
`same-window-regexps', etc.  So I rather like your earlier proposal
to provide `display-buffer-fallback-alist' where users can study all
settings that define the default behavior and easily override them by
just coping some settings from `display-buffer-fallback-alist' to
`display-buffer-alist' and changing their values.