Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 15:44:41 +0200

> You're referring to the following point, I think:
>   - the display method has to handle everything, there's no common/shared
>     postprocessing.
> The way I think we would handle it is by making most/all
> display-buffer-<foo> function finish by calling
> a display-buffer-post-process function, passing it the ALIST.
> So the ALIST may include something like (even-window . height) to
> specify whether and how to even windows.

Now this makes sense.  We would have to decide whether we provide one
such function or more (depending on the functionality of the service or
the method used).  And probably, if there's no suitable ALIST entry,
such a function would respect the old options where applicable.

> Admittedly, you won't be able to do the equivalent of
> ((reuse-window foo bar) (reuse-window titi toto)) because the args
> passed to FUNCTIONs are the same for each FUNCTION, so if a FUNCTION
> appears twice both occurrences will behave identically.

I should be able to live with that.  But how do we express that
splitting a window should try the largest window first and the lru
afterwards?

martin