Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:44:34 -0400

    > The idea that being in a search is a state that commands "shouldn't
    > disturb" is the result of thinking of it as a mode.  It is normal
    > for editing commands to stop searching and edit instead.

    Is scrolling "editing" here?  I would have said no, since it doesn't
    change the buffer and doesn't move point.

You're making a distinction I didn't intend, so we are talking past
each other.

When I said "editing commands" I meant "anything other than inserting
text." The rule is that they exit Isearch.  There have always been
exceptions, but they were few.

The more exceptions there are, the harder it is to remember how to use
Isearch.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation