Re: smtp crap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:58:48 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:30:56 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I cannot speak for Posix platforms nowadays, but I do know that almost
> > every Windows box out there has its mail client set up
>
> Considering the increasing popularity of webmail, this may not be true
> anymore.

It is still true.  Even if the local MUA is used less than it was
before, it is still set up.

> Also, I don't like the argument that we should treat Windows users
> differently from users on other platforms, just because they are likely
> to use some proprietary mail client.  In that context, offering to set
> up Emacs for sending email is actually good, if it encourages less
> dependence on such mail clients.

Sorry, I see no sense in this reasoning.  This discussion is about
letting "emacs -Q" be able to send mail with a high probability of
success and with the minimum fuss for the user.  This situation is
especially important when reporting bugs, because we actually request
users to use "emacs -Q" for that.  Why would we want to hurt this
goal, for the sake of some illusory "equality" between platforms?