RE: non-breaking hyphens

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: non-breaking hyphens
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:59:14 -0700

> > BTW, there is already a mapping in lisp/international/latin1-disp.el
> > in `latin1-display-ucs-per-lynx' that can be used to match
> > confusable characters.
>
> Yes, we have several overlapping features that handle these and other
> issues.  One other related "overlap" is glyphless characters display
> vis-a-vis display tables; currently they contradict.  The current
> situation is quite a mess, and we need to resolve it by designing a
> coherent set of features to handle all that.

Introduce a user-customizable data structure as I suggested _now_, and drive
whatever current or future changes are needed for the UI etc. off of that,
instead of hard-coding here and there.

If you can at least decide now on the structure of the data structure, the exact
content can be modified later as needed.  Similarly, which parts of Emacs need
to use it (e.g. what you now are discovering as additional forgotten places to
hard-code) can be dealt with progressively.

Continuing to hard-code-hack here and there now is not a great idea, other
things being equal.  It's not because we are in premature "pretest" that we
shouldn't start to DTRT.