RE: Why all the Alt bindings by default?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why all the Alt bindings by default?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:03:16 -0700

> > A-Y         ¥
>
> These are key remappings implemented in key-translation-map.  They are
> available under C-x 8 as well as under the Alt modifier (I didn't
> remember this and had to track it down to re-learn it).

Yes, I guessed that they were the same as `C-x 8'.

1. I think that in both cases we need to identify them somehow as key remappings
in the output.

2. What is the new feature that causes the `A-' bindings to now show up in
addition to the `C-x 8' bindings?  Shouldn't that feature be called out in NEWS,
even if it is just a new set of key remappings?  What was the rationale behind
the change?