Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:12:28 -0400

> Active Emacs network connections are not always closed properly upon
> resuming from suspend.  This is a problem with GnuTLS, which keeps
> waiting for data and hangs Emacs.  So I want to write a resume handler
> that will close all the GnuTLS connections.

Writing a resume handler would just patch over the problem, because this
problem can also show up without suspend&resume (typically, you're
behind a NAT router, and you leave the connection idle for a while,
after which the NAT router decides to forget about this connection).

Presumably setting the `keepalive' bit on the TCP connection should help, but:
- we should also make sure that C-g works.
- we should time out (hopefully keepalive does it for us) after a while.
- we should figure out what other applications (e.g. other MUAs) do.
- we should make it easy for the user to kill the connection if it is
  hung (e.g. make C-g kill the connection).

        Stefan