Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:32:31 -0500

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:12:28 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Active Emacs network connections are not always closed properly upon
>> resuming from suspend.  This is a problem with GnuTLS, which keeps
>> waiting for data and hangs Emacs.  So I want to write a resume handler
>> that will close all the GnuTLS connections.

SM> Writing a resume handler would just patch over the problem, because this
SM> problem can also show up without suspend&resume (typically, you're
SM> behind a NAT router, and you leave the connection idle for a while,
SM> after which the NAT router decides to forget about this connection).

SM> Presumably setting the `keepalive' bit on the TCP connection should help,
but:
SM> - we should also make sure that C-g works.
SM> - we should time out (hopefully keepalive does it for us) after a while.
SM> - we should make it easy for the user to kill the connection if it is
SM>   hung (e.g. make C-g kill the connection).

You're right, but on suspend&resume we should not have to wait for the
TCP connection to time out.  Let's assume it's closed in that specific
case and set the keepalive for general use.

Is this just a GnuTLS problem?  Does any of the rest of Emacs have
issues with hung connections?

SM> - we should figure out what other applications (e.g. other MUAs) do.

I think just reopening the connection is reasonable, no?  What else
needs to be figured out?

Ted