Re: bzr: does a commit message get propagated from a branch?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr: does a commit message get propagated from a branch?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:06:52 +0200

> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:33:59 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> I have a bazaar repository bound to savannah, S, just like everybody has.
> >From this repo I have made a branch, B, ...., and committed changes, with
> commit message L in this branch.
>
> I now want to merge my changes from B into S (and thence to savannah).
> Do I have to do anything special for my message L to get to S?  Or do I
> just have to "bzr merge".
>
> Or do I have to repeat the commit message L when merging back to S?

You merge from the branch B to the bound branch (a.k.a. trunk) S.
After that, you commit in S.  When you commit in S, it is advisable to
provide a log message that summarizes whatever changes you did on B.
Not repeats the message L, summarizes it.  That's because when people
issue the "bzr log" command after your commit to the trunk, they won't
see the detailed log messages from the branch, unless they use the -n0
switch to "bzr log".  So providing a log message for the merge commit
will let them see a summary of what you did on the branch.