Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:58:46 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> However, using LRO..PDF means that no label on a key can use a string
> that needs to be reordered.  That's because the LRO overrides the
> bidirectional properties of all the following characters to be strong
> L.

Ahh, ummm, that's not good.  I'm still misunderstanding LRO. :-(

> If we can live with this limitation, I agree that this is better.
> But I think you said earlier that such a restriction is more than we
> can bear.

What we need is to display (only capital letters are Hebrew):
    ... | HEB REW | ABC DEF | ...
as
    ... | BEH WER | CBA FED | ...

If none of LRO..PDF, LRE..PDF work, and if there's no easy
way to determine when to insert LRM, the only way is to
insert LRMs unconditionally.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden