Re: menu system in recent Emacs?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: menu system in recent Emacs?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 20:53:31 -0400

On Thu, 03 May 2012 01:52:50 +0200 Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

TN> () Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
TN> () Wed, 02 May 2012 17:34:38 -0400

TN>    Also it's hard to insert explanatory text [...].
TN>    Can that be done somehow?  I don't see a way.

TN> You can include that text in the prompt, with newlines for readability.

TN> (completing-read "Here are some choices:\n- A\t- B\n- C\t- D\nChoose one: "

I see, it's obvious now that you point it out :)  I can use that.

I would really like it to show the list of choices immediately, as if
the user pressed `TAB'.  Can that be fed into the function somehow as a
synthetic keypress?  I'd prefer to avoid modifying `completing-read' in
the source, so my code will work with older Emacsen as well.

Ted