Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Interpretation of a space in regexp isearch?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:55:03 -0400

> Unfortunately, this will expose the regexp used in non-regexp search
> in such cases as editing the search string with M-e or repeating
> the previous search from the search ring.  All special regexp characters
> will be displayed as quoted with \.  This will mean that there is no more
> plain non-regexp search from the user's point of view.

Agreed.  It will also show up when you hit M-% or similarly reuse the
last search string in things like occur.  It can all be fixed with more
code, but it complicates everything for very little benefit.
I'd rather we just don't bother with search-whitespace-regexp in the
default isearch behavior, especially since nobody actually requested
it, AFAICT (at best, people pointed out that it seems counterintuitive
to have it in regexp-search but not in the normal search).

        Stefan