Re: M-= in Dired

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: M-= in Dired
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 18:32:13 +0530

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> It would be far better to bind `count-words-region' to something like
>> `C-x M-=', and thus keep `M-=' free.
>
> Or make `C-x =' a prefix key for a keymap with more keybindings for
> counting commands like count-words, count-lines-page,
> count-lines-region, count-matches, what-cursor-position,
> what-page, what-line.

C-x l           count-lines-page

I see that C-x w is empty.  May be `w' can stand for words.

I see that students, academics, writers interested in word counts.  Line
count or page count is not well defined.  They can be "fixed" (as in
"match fixing").

I would probably use C-x = for balancing windows (note the symmetry of
the character and `=' could stand for balancing your accounts) and use
C-x + for counting words (counting is just 1+).

C-x ? can be used for what, if it is at all decided that what-* commands
are worth a key binding.

I would prefer if I could conjure up an image as mnemonic to recall the
exact key sequence to use.