Re: Feature freeze on October 1

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature freeze on October 1
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:54:50 -0400

> Can we please get rid of the memory allocation (in load_charset_map)
> during a call to maybe_unify_char, which already caused trouble during
> release of 24.2?

That would be very welcome, yes.  I asked Handa-san to look into it, but
it seems that he hasn't found time for it yet.  IIRC the main issue is
to move unification from the time when we read a char from the buffer to
the time we read a char from outside Emacs.  AFAIK unification is
already performed when we read a char from outside Emacs, so maybe all
it takes is to remove the maybe_unify_char thingy?

        Stefan