Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 23:20:12 -0400

> The trouble is that the core completion code makes unwarranted
> assumptions about the behavior of expand-in-file-name.  Specifically,
> completion--tqw-all assumes that (equal (unquote (concat (qnew foo)
> (qnew bar)) (unquote (quote (concat foo bar))).  Why should that be
> the case?

Long story.  For typical escaping/quoting this does hold.
Of course, for more general rewrites, it doesn't.

Can you give me your file-name-handler code so I can play with it (I
don't have Cygwin at hand, but I should be able to make up the
difference).
I think the problem is in completion--sifn-requote, which is definitely
not prepared for the kind of rewrites you're doing.

        Stefan