Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:15:29 -0400

>>> Here's what I threw together to try to get this working. I took a look
>>> at minibuffer.el and other pieces of code seem to make the same
>>> assumption. Maybe the requote operation needs a a file-name-handler?
>> I installed a new implementation of the requote, which should handle
>> your case better.  It still tripped up some later assertions, but
>> I think those assertions are too strict in this case, so I commented
>> them out and it seemed to work in my test.
>> If you still find bogus behavior, please file a bug-report.
> Now c:\bin\ gets transformed into c:/usr/bin/ at the completion
> prompt, which is no good:

Hmm... that's odd.  Can you give me some details:
- tell me exactly which text you typed in the minibuffer.
- also tell me how the rfn-eshadow highlights the file name at each step.

> besides being the wrong completion (with respect to c:\bin\, since
> there is no c:\usr at the Windows level), the lack of backslashes in
> the substituted path completely disables the file-name-handler I'm
> trying to use.

Right.  BTW I'm not convinced this is the right pattern to use for your
file-name-handler.  I think catching "\\[a-zA-Z]:" or something along
these lines might be a better choice.
BTW, does Cygwin allow backslashes in file-names or does it interpret it
as a separator, like Windows does?

        Stefan