Re: GNU ELPA visibility

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA visibility
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:33:37 -0400

> So I think we should setup some GNU ELPA web-site that lists the
> packages and where each package gets a web page which would be the
> canonical web page for that package (so people can link to it from, say,
> emacswiki) describing it (its README or "Commentary:") plus a link to
> its repository.

Well, I just went ahead and took a first crack at it.  I'm an HTML
ignoramus, so the result is clearly unimpressive.  If you care to make
it better, the code that builds those files is in
elpa/admin/archive-contents.el, so feel free to submit patches for it.

As discussed in this thread, if we want this to work, we need some way
to get a sexier description than the plain-text readme.txt.  I.e. we
need to replace the READMEs with more structured files which can be
easily turned into acceptable HTML (no need to be fancy, here) as well
as easy to render acceptably in Emacs (extra bonus points if that same
format can end up being used as a replacement for Info ;-).

        Stefan