Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 21:44:38 -0500

>> We could fix that by explicitly mentioning it's vertical scrolling.
> Yes, but I guess we all agree that "up" is a cleaner, shorter and thus
> better name than "vertical backward".

Except that up/down bring with them the ambiguity.

> Mmmm, well, then maybe "scroll-view-" would be even better than
> "scroll-window-".

The problem is that most users don't even know about this "viewport vs
content" issue.  So using "up/down" forces them to learn about this
ambiguity and how it's resolved.

That's the reason why I prefer a terminology that is not loaded with
ambiguity that we then have to explain away.  BTW, next/prev is probably
easier to use than beginning/end.

        Stefan