Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 09:43:22 +0100

Sorry.  The processor is an Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz.

> If it's anywhere near core i7,
> you can slash these times by a factor of 3, if you use a recent CVS
> build of GNU Make which supports job-server style parallel builds on
> Windows.  Just type "make -j8 bootstrap" instead of just "make bootstrap".
> ("-j8" because the core i7 CPU has the equivalent of 6.5 processing
> units, and the recommendation for Make is to use a number slightly
> larger than that.)

I'll try a parallel build.  BTW, a plain "-j" option seem to be a good
choice;  according to the GNU Make manual it will dynamically
determine how many parallel recipes can be run:

  `-j [JOBS]'
  `--jobs[=JOBS]'
       Specifies the number of recipes (jobs) to run simultaneously.
       With no argument, `make' runs as many recipes simultaneously as
       possible.  If there is more than one `-j' option, the last one is
       effective.  *Note Parallel Execution: Parallel, for more
       information on how recipes are run.  Note that this option is
       ignored on MS-DOS.

--
Dani Moncayo