Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Two strange messages while building Emacs on MS-Windows
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:20:51 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:42:15 +0100
>
> It says that MS Windows is ~80% slower than GNU/Linux at running emacs
> with for evaling a simple expression :-)

That's more reasonable, and probably even expected, see below.

> Serioulsy, though, Emacs does quite a few things at startup.

Indeed.  And on Windows it does more.  What's more, quite a few of
those things involves calling 'stat', which on Windows is much slower.

> Still, I don't understand how your i7 is 90% slower than my old Q6600,
> running the same OS. IIRC you mentioned that your build is unoptimized.
> Mine is with default configuration, which defaults to -O2.

A more important difference is that I do have an anti-virus installed
(although the few tens of milliseconds that takes, if that's the
reason, I'm gladly willing to pay).  And my system is heavily used for
years (the motherboard is new, but the OS installation is 7-year old),
so it has quite a lot of baggage in its Registry etc.

On top of that, I didn't use MSYS to time the commands.  I have a
clone of the 'time' command (called 'timep', because 'time' is taken
by an internal cmd command that does something very different) which
uses Windows APIs to report times used by its child processes.  This
alone can explain the difference.

Anyway, a 4 to 6 min bootstrap is something I can easily live with,
especially since I almost never do it.