Re: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no f

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no file-local vars
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 17:22:08 -0500

> OK, from what you and Eli are saying, I'm starting to think that
> `i-f-c' might be appropriate for my case.  But I would like to see the
> doc for `i-f-c' spell out specifically what it does and does not do.

I find the current docstring pretty clear, so you'll have to give
more guidance.  As for saying what it doesn't do, that's
a slippery slope.

Most of the things that mm-i-f-c disables are things that apply to
find-file-noselect (which creates a new buffer that is "bound" to
a file), whereas insert-file-contents is really just about inserting
into the current-buffer some text which happens to come from a file
rather than from elsewhere.

> And if the code for `mm-i-f-c' contains some useless bindings (after
> all, it calls `i-f-c'), then let's remove those,

Better ask the Gnus guys about that.  Many of the mm-* functions were
introduced to abstract over differences between emacsen, so maybe
XEmacs's insert-file-contents does other things.

        Stefan