Re: Unuseful keybindings

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 01:55:40 +0530

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > You don't care for your own use, but does that mean that
>> > you also do not care what Emacs binds by default for others?
>>
>> Yes, I do not care what Emacs does by default.
>
> Too bad for Emacs.
>
> So your input on questions of default behavior (like this one) is just
> irrelevant noise, I guess.  No?

One of the first things that I do with a new Emacs is to always have it
maximized.  (I am a single frame, single window user.)  After a lot of
experimentation, this is how I achieve maximized frame on startup.

1. Start Emacs
2. Maximize the frame by hand.
3. Save window configuration (or is it frame configuration?) to a
   register.
4. pp-eval the register.
5. Identify the height and width of the maximized frame.
6. Dump it in my .emacs.

This method works flawlessly.

Considering my own case,  I will say,

Why not educate user and have him save his frame configuration in a
register and have the register value setq-ed persistently in his .emacs.

This way he can rely on register commands (which can be touch-typed) and
not rely on any bindings.  My suggestion is no different from having
file short cuts in registers.  I have, `C-x r j .' jumping to my .emacs.

Why should we care for a casual user?  Why do tribes have initiation
ceremonies.  Initiation is always an ordeal and but inevitable to
establish trust and earnestness.

That said, I will say vote for
leaving F-Keys undefined and ubound,
say for F1.