Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: cl-functions do not honor common-lisp-indent-function
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:09:30 +0100

Helmut Eller <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 26 2012, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>>> When I'm programming Emacs Lisp I use emacs-lisp-mode and I assume that
>>> the default indentation function, i.e. lisp-indentation-function, will
>>> handle all relevant macros.
>> It is not handling all these macros/functions, so what do we do ?
>
> Improve lisp-indentation-function.
>
>>> I fail to see why using common-lisp-indent-function in emacs-lisp-mode
>>> is such a bright idea.
>>
>> Because emacs-lisp-mode we may use common-lisp style functions (flet,
>> labels etc...).
>> So when you indent e.g a flet clause with emacs-lisp style it is indented
>> badly.
>
> But common-lisp-indent-function will indent "if" like:
>
> (if x
>     b)
>
> while the Emacs Lisp convention is:
>
> (if x
>   b)

Not a problem for me, one or the other is not bad, just a different
style. (I prefer the common-lisp style for `if')

I understand your point of view, the problem is to indent and fontlock
correctly all the common-lisp style functions used in emacs-lisp-mode,
in one way or the other.
I agree that the best would be to handle this for emacs-lisp-mode
without using an indentation destinated for another mode (lisp).
Unfortunately it is missing, not implemented, so we use the "less bad"
solution, using common-lisp indentation style for all with some tweaking
for the cl-* ones that are not supported in both style.

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: