Re: Detecting display/frame capability in an Emacs daemon

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Detecting display/frame capability in an Emacs daemon
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:36:27 -0500

      I think that Emacs should deal with this issue on
    the more abstract level of resource shared by hosts of varying
    capability, which is reasonably accurately expressed by "cloud".

The term "cloud computing" is not a clear way to refer to that,
because it is used for several other things too.

Also, "resource" is vague: using files is very different from
using printers.  A person might want to do both, but we
need to keep in mind that they are different issues.

     > The term "cloud computing" is not a clean abstraction but a
     > confusion between different and unrelated ways of using the
     > network.

    As you just wrote yourself, they're related by use of the network.

Yes, but that doesn't make them similar in any significant way.

      However, "the cloud" makes such sharing far more accessible to
    both busy users who don't care to shoulder administrative burden of
    less sophisticated resource-sharing protocols, and unsophisticated
    users.

Perhaps some specific practice has this benefit.  What I object to
is using the general term "cloud" which lumps it together
with other, quite different practices.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation