RE: Contributing to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Contributing to Emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:33:31 -0700

> > I would like to support Emacs by writing documentation. Thank you.
>
> Thank you very much.
> We'd be very happy to have you help us with Emacs's documentation.
> Here are the things we usually need w.r.t our documentation:
> - Proof-reading the manuals.  That's also a great way to learn more
>   about Emacs (even for "veterans" like myself).
>   This is usually done together with reading the NEWS file to
>   make sure that the manual has been updated.
> - Translating the tutorial in some other language.
> - Add documentation about some package/feature that isn't mentioned
>   in the manual or doesn't have its own manual yet.
> - Compare docstrings with the corresponding description in the manual
>   (when applicable).  They usually shouldn't be identical, but they
>   should not contradict each other.  Generally the manual gives a bit
>   less details but more background/context.
> Take your pick,

Not to mention that there are plenty of outstanding doc bugs.  Readers have
already proof-read the manuals to some extent, and reported specific problems
and suggestions for improvement.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;include=subject%3Adoc;excl
ude=pending%3Adone;package=emacs

Not every report with Subject matching "doc" is a doc bug report, of course, and
there are reported doc bugs whose Subject does not match "doc".  But it's a
start.