Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Christopher Schmidt
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:16:19 +0100 (BST)

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
> hg wins here hands down.  Given how many commands there are in git,
> having to study multi-hundred line man pages here seems suboptimal.
> Indeed, having to learn git could be a barrier to participation in
> projects which use it.

git is incredibly powerful.  This is reflected by the amount and length
of the official documentation.

There is no need to study all git-related man-pages.  When it comes to
understanding and implementing a conservative workflow one just needs a
handful of different commands with about one or two arguments each.

I really like git's man pages.  In my opinion, the documentation is
precise, meaningful and does not leave much room any questions.

A lot of books have been written about git.  In particular, please check

    http://git-scm.com/book

This one is both tutorial and reference and has been translated to many
languages.

I do not think it takes much time to master git.

        Christopher