Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:54:57 +0000

Hi, Barry.

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:31:40PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2013, at 03:42 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

> >I still think git is a horrible DVCS

> I happen to agree.  Mercurial is much better, though I still prefer Bazaar.
> Mercurial is also GPLv2 and has free (as in $) hosting facilities available.

One aspect not yet touched upon is documentation.  Compare, for example,
{git,hg,bzr} help merge.  git dumps you into a ~300 line man page.  hg
outputs a concise, yet complete ~40-line summary.  bzr outputs a rambling
~100 line essay which might say what the command does, but it's difficult
to tell.

hg wins here hands down.  Given how many commands there are in git,
having to study multi-hundred line man pages here seems suboptimal.
Indeed, having to learn git could be a barrier to participation in
projects which use it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).