Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: chad
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:57:03 -0700

On 02 Apr 2013, at 09:35, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> That reminds me of another project I'm familiar with: Emacs.

When people submit patches to emacs, they typically get feedback
of some sort within a few days.  This lets potential contributors
"get their feet wet" with small changes while learning the ins and
outs of the system and the development process.  This does not seem
to be the case with bzr; that's specifically why I mentioned it.

> If I were reasoning like you do, I'd never have written the
> bidirectional display code.

The bidi engine wasn't your first submission to Emacs, of course.
Imagine if you'd decided to start work on bidi just after multi-tty
landed, that you'd never worked on the project before, and then add
that nobody responds to your patches. That's a closer analogy to
bzr at the moment.

I'm trying to help people (after rms asked) understand why, perhaps,
bzr development is in it's current sorry state. I clearly stated
up front that I was speculating and generalizing from my own
observations, rather than stating some truths about the universe.

I hope that helps.
~Chad