Re: About GSoC 2013

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: About GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:08:42 -0400

> * Improve VC
>   There's a lot of work to be done there.  vc-pull, vc-push, vc-ignore,
>   dealing with branches and so on.  I'm not quite familiar with VC, but
>   it worth my time to investigate it.  I think Paul, Stefan, ESR and ttn
>   are really good mentors on this idea.

VC is in dire need of improvement, indeed.  I would welcome such
a project and would be happy to mentor.

> * Having tabs above a window to switch buffers in it.

That would be good as well, but only if the tab-widget can be placed
anywhere in the window tree (e.g. per-window, per-frame, or somewhere in
between) and can be used for different purposes (e.g. switch buffers in
a window or switch window-configs in a frame, or switch branches in
a VC-dir buffer).
There are existing branches providing some kind of tabs support already,
but they didn't get much traction.

> * Extending text properties
> ** zero-width text properties
> ** Text property that says "don't break line in middle of this".
>    Don't break the line between two characters that have the
>    same value of this property.

I'm not sure how useful these would be (the second point also seems
much too trivial for GSoC, it might not be much more than a two-liner).

But if you're interested on working around the text-property code,
I recommend the "using interval trees for overlays" and the
"text-property planes" suggestions already mentioned by Jambunathan.

        Stefan