Re: request to revert the chnage of revno 112925

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: request to revert the chnage of revno 112925
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:35:52 -0400

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> writes:

> But the core of what I want: make it so that utf-8 Elisp files are
> always recognized correctly, even in the absence of a coding: tag, and
> regardless of the user's locale.
> The way I implemented it broke recognition of iso-2022, but if there;s
> some other way that doesn't break it, that's even better.

I'd like to find a better solution, but at first please
clarify the requirements.

* What to do with an ASCII file?  Previously find-file for
  such a file results in undecided-xxx
  buffer-file-coding-system.  Now it's utf-8-xxx.

* What to do with an invalid UTF-8 file.  Previously,
  find-file detects a proper coding-system for such a file.
  Now utf-8 is forced and any invalid UTF-8 byte sequences
  are decoded as raw bytes.

* What to do with null byte detection.  Previously, if a
  *.el file contains a null byte and
  inhibit-null-byte-detection is nil (the default), it's
  detected as a binary file.  Now utf-8 is forced regardless
  of inhibit-null-byte-detection.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden