Re: call for more ert tests

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: call for more ert tests
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:18:25 +0200

On Monday 24 June 2013 21:21:50 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> IMO, unless we require every new feature to come with a test and a
> report that no regressions were found by running the existing tests,
> we will never get any better testability than what we have now.

I think one problem is that it's hard to write tests for many Emacs features
and the results might not really help to improve the code quality.  E.g., the
new browser eww.  There could certainly be some tests for lower level
features.  But a real test coverage would require tests for the rendered
layout.  Which would be hard to write and even worse probably breaking all the
time when rendering is improved and thus the output changes.

Therefore having a policy to demand tests for new features might be counter
productive.  On the other hand maintainers should at least ask for test cases
when they think a new feature could benefit from tests.  Which in my
experience, as somebody who is relatively new to contributing to Emacs, does
not seem to happen at all.

An automated test report would certainly improve things.  The Gnus folks seem
to use http://buildbot.net/.

Regards
Rüdiger