Re: x-display-pixel-width/height inconsistency

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: x-display-pixel-width/height inconsistency
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 16:48:54 +0200

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> OK.  But for other cases?  No reason to let the ideal become the enemy
> of the good.

Well, obviously if we go for detecting that kind of situation, that
some corner cases are difficult will not stop us from fixing the
common ones.

> No - please, dear Emacs, learn to help lost users. ;-)

Emacs should not be a generic Windows-learning tool, and having a
window displayed outside the monitor is uncommon, but absolutely not
Emacs-specific.

> In addition, beyond Emacs, I would even guess that most Windows users
> have no idea how to move a window back on screen.  Google "how to move
> window back onto screen"...

So that's what they should do if they find themselves in that
circumstance. Is what I did, after all...

> And they generally do not need such knowledge.  Losing a window
> off-screen does not happen every 30 minutes.

Losing a window off-screen *because* of frame restoration should not
happen every 30 minutes, either. It will be uncommon unless you happen
to save & restore often in quite different monitor configurations, and
if that's the case, and even if desktop.el tries its best to help, the
user should be prepared to accept some oddities (or some .emacs
tweaking).

> I think you mentioned that your use of MS Windows is mainly command-line use.

No, I'm a heavy user of command line (for example, I almost never copy
or move files with the Windows Explorer), but I'm also a heavy user of
the Windows GUI.

>  That's great, but it is hardly the case of most Windows users.  (I
> would even guess it is hardly the case for most Windows users of Emacs.)

That's an argument *for* them to know about moving windows back into
the viewing area, not against.