Re: filenotify.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: filenotify.el
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:57:06 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The only case where file-notify-supported-p makes sense is when you want
> to know if file-notify-add-watch would work before you know whether you
> want to call file-notify-add-watch.  Can't think of too many situations
> where this would be the case.

It is more simple to implement for some Tramp file name handlers. For
example, in the smb case I have mapped file-notify-supported-p to
ignore. But of course I could implement it differently, let
file-notify-add-watch return with a file-notify-error in that case.

I have no heavy preference for or against file-notify-supported-p.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.